Janne Nissinen
Janne Nissinen,
Experience:  Neurology Fellow at University of California San Diego
92736226

LATELY, WHEN HAVING A CONVERSATION, I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT A

Customer Question

LATELY, WHEN HAVING A CONVERSATION, I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT A WORD I SAID WAS NOT THE WORD I THOUGHT I WAS SAYING. AS AN EXAMPLE, WHEN I ASKED MY GRANDDAUGHTER HOW BIG THE HOUSE WAS THAT THEY WERE BUYING, SHE SAID THAT I SAID YARD INSTEAD OF HOUSE. THIS HAS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES, THINKING THAT I AM SAYING ONE THING AND ANOTHER COMES OUT. I'M AFRAID THAT THIS MIGHT BE THE
BEGINNING OF ALZHEIMER'S.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 8 months ago.

I’m Dr. Janne Nissinen, a board certified neurologist.

Please note that this is an information request and does not substitute an in person visit to a physician or an official diagnostic process. The advice given here is for information purposes only.

How often is this happening? Multiple times per day, ever couple of days, ever couple of weeks? Also, have you or any other family members noticed any change in your memory?

And if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

As you are offline I will try to answer your question as best I can with the information I have available.

Alzheimer disease is a neurodegenerative process which causes loss of brain volume and progressive loss of functions. The earliest symptoms usually are short term memory loss, misplacing items, forgetting to pay bills, forgetting appointments and forgetting names. occasionally word-finding difficulties may present early on, but are more typical when the disease progresses. Alzheimer's disease is more common as age increases but not typically beginning before the age of 65

What you are describing are unintentional word-substitutions and can be a result of a multitude of different processes - one of which is attention and concentration. If you are not focused on the discussion, not well rested, stressed etc. you may unintentionally say a word that you did not mean. Word-substitutions alone do not indicate Alzheimer's disease. If you feel as though the symptoms are worsening or you are experiencing memory loss as well I recommend you see a neurologist for an in-office memory test as a screen such as a MOCA or MMSE.

I hope this answers your medical care. Thank you for allowing me to participate in your medical care.

If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Janne Nissinen, MD