Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

Im a 32 years old female recently dis a blood test. My

Customer Question

Im a 32 years old female recently dis a blood test.
My result for Ferritin was 10.46 ug/L , what does this indicate about my health? Is it low ?pls explain
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

This is Dr. David

For women, 11 to 307 ng/ml or 11 to 307 micrograms per liter (international units) is considered normal.

your 10.46 is only slightly below "normal" range

ferritin is a blood test to look for stored iron levels.

other blood tests are also needed to see how your iron and red blood cell counts are looking.

hemoglobin and hematocrit blood levels check on your red blood cell counts. these red cells use iron all the time to help transport oxygen in your body

serum iron levels can be checked and also total iron binding capcity (TIBC) and percent saturation

women are more prone to having low iron stores given that they loose blood every month in their period. some women have worse period flow than others.

you can get iron in your diet through liver, beef, steak, spinach and other iron rich foods.

your body re-cycles the iron that is in your red blood cells so you don't loose the iron when red blood cells die.

so if your other blood tests for red cells and iron tests are normal. I would not worry about your ferritin level.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using