Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

I have been monitoring my blood pressure couple of weeks now

Customer Question

I have been monitoring my blood pressure for a couple of weeks now I just took it and it read 136/92 pulse of 81, this mornings readings were 148/83 pulse rate 72yesterdays reading were 152/90 pulse 68 my doctor has told my that I have borderline sugar which the reading is 6.7 people have told me I'm ready for a stroke what should I do
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome to JA. It sounds like you need treatment for hypertension, and for diabetes if you HgbA1c is 6.7. there are new medications that treat Diabetes type 2 and we can discuss them. And your pressures are also borderline hig, although those two of 148 and 152 are high. You need three accurate pressure readings over a 2 week period to make criteria. you should also have your blood checked for electrolytes, paying attention to the BUN and Cr. to exclude kidney disease as a reason for your blood pressure elevation. If you have a family history of stroke/heart attack, you need your cholesterol measured with fractions to consider taking a statin medication for reducing cholesterol, your carotid arteries scanned to exclude carotid stenosis, and a CT scan of the brain to exclude microvascular disease of the brain. You may need to take a blood thinner based on that scan result, 81 mg aspirin and/or plavix (clopidogrel) is standard therapy to prevent stroke. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, just write back and I will reply. Or I can call you and will put out the phone option, although JA charges extra. If interested in that premium service, just put your phone number in the box and a time to call if not now. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****