Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.
64994909

I have been monitoring my blood pressure couple of weeks now

Customer Question

I have been monitoring my blood pressure for a couple of weeks now I just took it and it read 136/92 pulse of 81, this mornings readings were 148/83 pulse rate 72yesterdays reading were 152/90 pulse 68 my doctor has told my that I have borderline sugar which the reading is 6.7 people have told me I'm ready for a stroke what should I do
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 12 months ago.

Hello, welcome to JA. It sounds like you need treatment for hypertension, and for diabetes if you HgbA1c is 6.7. there are new medications that treat Diabetes type 2 and we can discuss them. And your pressures are also borderline hig, although those two of 148 and 152 are high. You need three accurate pressure readings over a 2 week period to make criteria. you should also have your blood checked for electrolytes, paying attention to the BUN and Cr. to exclude kidney disease as a reason for your blood pressure elevation. If you have a family history of stroke/heart attack, you need your cholesterol measured with fractions to consider taking a statin medication for reducing cholesterol, your carotid arteries scanned to exclude carotid stenosis, and a CT scan of the brain to exclude microvascular disease of the brain. You may need to take a blood thinner based on that scan result, 81 mg aspirin and/or plavix (clopidogrel) is standard therapy to prevent stroke. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, just write back and I will reply. Or I can call you and will put out the phone option, although JA charges extra. If interested in that premium service, just put your phone number in the box and a time to call if not now. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****