khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

I'm trying to control night sweats and hot flashes but

Customer Question

I'm trying to control night sweats and hot flashes but my dr will not prescribe hormones. I tried gabapentin but had terrible side effects and had to come off of it. They next want me to try effexor. Because of the horrible side effects I had with the gabapentin i'm reluctant to try another medication. They prescribed the 37.5 mg time released capsules. Can you answer a couple of questions. 1. What are the most notable side effects of this medicine 2. what time of the day should i take it 3. how quickly should i expect it to help with the hot flashes 4. how easy is it to wean off of it if it doesnt work - i've read that people have a pretty bad time doing this with this medicine. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 6 months ago.

What is the reason your doctor doesn't prescribe hormones?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
because i have a heart/stroke history in my family (parents/grandparents)

While effexor (venlanfaxine) is well-studied, it has more acute toxicity (nausea and vomiting) and significant withdrawal symptoms. You should avoid it. Instead, you should use paroxetine (7.5 mg/day), cilalopram (20 mg/day), or escitalopram (20 mg/day).

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks that answers none of my questions and since i am not a dr i have no ability to choose what i take.

In this site, I met a man in the UK who is suffering from significant withdrawal symptoms. You should not take it. You should change your doctor or see an OB & GYN doctor if your doctor is a primary care doctor.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry - I get a lot of information off of this site but in this case i dont feel that what you are saying is anything more than a biased opinion. Because one person in the UK is having an issue? Are you even a doctor?

Yes, I am an OB & GYN doctor. Okay. It is just my opinion. You should decide after I give you information. I will answer your questions. 1. Headache (38%), insomnia (15% to 24%), drowsiness (12% to 20%), dizziness (11% to 20%), diaphoresis (10% to 14%), weight loss (2% to 7%), nausea (21% to 35%), xerostomia (12% to 17%), anorexia (8% to 17%), weakness (8% to 19%). 2. Since it could cause insomnia, you should take it in the morning. 3. 4-6 weeks 4. When you stop therapy, you should gradually decrease to 37.5 mg for one week before stopping altogether.