Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I had a dextrose IV low blood sugar episode from EMS. They

Customer Question

I had a dextrose IV for a low blood sugar episode from EMS. They said the swelling was from the dextrose. My arm and hand are more swollen now 4 hours after they left. The swelling is hard to the touch now and I can't close my hand. Is there anything I can do to help reduce the swelling? Should I go to ER?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

Yes, if swelling is too much it can compromise blood flow to your hand so going to ER is safe approach. Swelling can be decreased by ice compresses and elevating your hand on pillow by lying down.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.