Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a 28 year old Female living in Australia. I felt a non

Customer Question

Hello. I am a 28 year old Female living in Australia. I felt a non tender lymph node on the right side of my neck for three weeks and went to see a doctor. Have not been sick and no symptons in months. Got ultrasound done and a second one was found on the left side. I have results I don't understand. Urgent FNA was done but still awaiting results and very anxious. Basically lymph nodes appear abnormal, loss of normal hilum and increased vascularity. Any idea what this means?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The changes that were seen on the ultrasound are worrisome that these lymph nodes could be cancer. The hyperechoic pattern and loss of hilum are traditional features that are worrisome, although the former is more worrisome than the later. Increased vascularity can also occur with cancer, although it can occur from other conditions, so is not considered as strong a criteria for concern for cancer.

However, these findings are not definitive that cancer is present. A significant percentage of lymph nodes with these findings are found to have cancer, but certainly not all. And that is why a FNA was done.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

this is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

reactive lymph nodes which swell up can also cause hyperechoic patter and also loss of hilum

the size of the lymph nodes are still small, about 1 inch in size, so they are still in the range of reactive lymph nodes

and you have enlaged lymph nodes on both sides of your neck. which is another sign they could be benign. it would be less likely to have cancer in both sides of your neck at your age.

I'm glad you got a biopsy.

that will tell for sure if you have cancer in your lymph nodes.

my bet is that these are still reactive lymph nodes. and the biopsy will show benign findings.

let me know if you have questions.

As I said these changes are only a sign that there could be cancer, not there definitely is cancer.

Obviously, your doctor also interpreted these changes as a worrisome finding, which is why the FNA was done.