Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I have gh blood pressure and I have been debating about

Customer Question

I have high blood pressure and I have been debating about change my chlorine pool to salt water. Will the salt in the water negatively effect my blood pressure.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I am currently successfully maintaining my high blood pressure with medication. I have a swimming pool at my new home. I am considering changing my chlorine pool to salt water and was wondering if it would be ok.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I am overweight and am in the process of losing weight and hoping with swimming on a regular basis would assist in weight loss, but am concern as to whether a change to salt water would effect my blood pressure negatively.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 7 months ago.

Swimming in the salt water will not negatively effect blood pressure.

In fact, the exercise will help.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.