Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

My 88 year old mother experiences acute vomiting episodes,

Customer Question

My 88 year old mother experiences acute vomiting episodes, expelling a large volume of mucus/phlegm for 1-2 days and being unable to hold down even water. She has a history of esophagus narrowing and ulcers.
Would like to understand what we can do to 1) prevent 2) help lesson her discomfort when this occurs
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

Hi This is Dr Stan and I want to help you with your mother's medical problem. May I suggest you call 911 and have her transported to an acute medical facility. The fact that she is unable to take fluids and keep them down may be life threatening.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

I hope you got my response and you are taking steps to act

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is not experiencing currently. 911 is inappropriate. The questions:
What causes it? How do we prevent? This
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

You said that she is unable to keep down liquids. She could become dehydrated quickly causing electrolyte problems leading to heart and kidney problems. Most likely the esophagus is closing if not already closed. She will need to have the esophagus dilated (stretched). If she is able to swallow and retain what she swallows at this time, you are correct it is not a 911 situation. She should be followed by her physician soon to evaluate the degree of narrowing.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

soft purred foods will make it easier for Mom to swallow until she can be evaluated by her doctor

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

Hi this is Dr Stan. I am following up on our discussion. The rating page has been enabled and I would appreciate a positive rating from you. Thanks