Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Ghjk, the sides of my tongue are painful, kind of hurts to

Customer Question

ghjk
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: the sides of my tongue are painful, kind of hurts to swallow. went to the dentist last week and she said my tonsils were HUGE. My boyfriend was diagnosed with mono 2 weeks ago; I took care of him while he had symptoms. Could these be early signs of mono?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: the sides of my tongue are painful, kind of hurts to swallow. went to the dentist last week and she said my tonsils were HUGE. My boyfriend was diagnosed with mono 2 weeks ago; I took care of him while he had symptoms. Could these be early signs of mono?
JA: Our top Doctor is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Doctor in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Doctor until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, this could be mono, although not in the way that you might think, but the full explanation is a little complex, so it will take a liitle time to type a complete answer. I will post a lengthy answer once it is complete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking so also, having shared drinks with him etc. while he was showing symptoms. I figure two weeks is too soon to go to the doctor for a mono test?

The incubation period for mono is typically about 4-8 weeks. So, if you were thinking that you were exposed to your boyfriend two weeks ago, and are now getting sick with mono, that would be unlikely.

If your boyfriend was sick for a couple weeks before he was diagnosed two weeks ago, so that your symptoms started 4 weeks after the start of his symptoms, then you could be having symptoms that you caught from him.

However, if each of you develop mono symptoms within two weeks of each other, it is actually much more likely that both of you caught the disease from another person, and quite possibly the same person. It is important to note that transmission of mono does not require kissing or other intimate contact, although this is a common misconception. So, it is very possible that both of you contracted mono from social contact with the same person. It is also important to note that someone with mono is still contagious for months after the symptoms resolve, so it is not necessary that the person to whom both of you were exposed would be ill at the time of contact.

It is also worth noting that there are some people with mono that can also have Strep. The mono, itself, will frequently cause a significant throat infection, but if there is more purulence or exudate in the throat or there is significant inflammation of the tonsils, it would be appropriate to consider a Strep test. Tonsils that are simply enlarged or mildly red are not as concerning as severely red and inflamed tonsils with purulence.

Sharing drinks with him could be a source of transmission, but only if his symptoms started a couple weeks before the diagnosis was made two weeks ago, as I noted above.

Two weeks after exposure would be too early to go for a mono test, but the mono test will be accurate two weeks after onset of symptoms. It will usually be negative during the first week, but will become increasingly likely to be positive after a week.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the info! I read the 4-6 weeks incubation period online.
The only symptom I knew he was having before he got sick were severe headaches.I've had strep before but this does not feel like strep. What symptoms should I expect in the upcoming week or two if I do have mono?

As I said, Strep would only be a concern if there is more of a tonsillitis, rather than just enlarged tonsils, but it is also true that Strep can happen within two weeks, and actually usually faster.

There are many symptoms that can occur with mono. A throat infection is very common. Fatigue, lack of energy, and general malaise is probably the most common symptoms. Other symptoms include fever, chills, swollen lymph nodes, abdominal discomfort, nausea or vomiting. In about 25% of people with mono, the liver and/or spleen can be enlarged, and this is why there is a recommendation to avoid activities that could result in blows to the abdomen, such as physical education or sports.