Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

My name is ***** *****. My daughter, 36, developed lymph

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** Nelson. My daughter, 36, developed lymph edema following a thigh lift two years ago after losing weight with a gastric bypass. Infection set in , legs and abdomen swelled greatly and and she almost died from dropping blood pressure. Took her to UAMS in Little Rock and they turned her around after two weeks in the hospital there. She came home on nutritional IV fluids and gradually she improved and swelling left. However, now for the last month the swelling has suddenly come back with draining fluid and her blood work yesterday showed her glucose was 37 yesterday and her Dr from UAMS messaged for her to get that level up fast. Our question is why after all this time would this happen again?? She has also been losing weight which happened the first time. The wounds have healed on the outside but were deep and cavernous. Any suggestions??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 months ago.

From her history she needs thorough evaluation to determine her cause or causes....

The rapid weight loss could leave her liver depleted of usual glycogen stores and THAT may impair her ability to maintain normal range blood sugars....

Too much impairment of protein / calorie nutrition could lead to very low albumin production from liver which is a factor to maintain normal blood pressure and prevent capillary fluid leaking into tissues to cause edema swelling ...

Her past history with critical low blood pressure could have led to kidney injury which could now be operating less efficiently and this could be a cause of swelling ....

Heart dysfunction could be a cause of swelling ...

Venous insufficiency is another possible cause ..

I think she needs prompt medical attention ...

I would advise work up to include blood work and urine specimen looking as liver function/ kidney function/ albumin levels / heart function as priorities

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD