Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Neurologist/Internist with academic and clinical experience.

Had chest xray last yr for came back normal have anxiety

Customer Question

Had chest xray last yr for sob came back normal have anxiety since I was a child .....went for x r ay yest.said my diaphram were flattening and hyperinflated lungs ...suggested copd ..I was a wreck Dont smoke no cough nothing just sob for 40 yrs on and off...this w as urgent care went to my dr said I don't have copd or spirometry tests were normal...have hyperventilation ....I breath wrong dr is a pulmonologist ..when I took xray may have did something wrong when I breathed in...doc said no copd nothing
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 7 months ago.

HI. How can I help? It seems you did the right thing. The most important test here is the functional test, the incentive spirometry. If you have the results and want them reviewed, just upload them minus your name as this is a public forum and I can explain all the parameters and what they mean. Your MVV, the minute ventalatory volume, if in the normal range, should exclude emphysema as a possibility. There are other tests, like the V/Q scan that measures blood flow into the lungs as a regional measure, but I am sure your pulmonologist decided it wasn't necessary. Please get back to me with a question and I can return a reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how i am compensated for this work. Thanks *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He said I have no copd it's just my hyperventilation syndrome ....I don't want free trial and bllled evert month just I question.

Yes. You have hyperventilation syndrome. You can have hyperinflated lungs in that condition, especially with a history of childhood asthsma. But you have no trapped or residual air in your spirometry testing, that is how you can tell you don't have COPD. You don't have to accept the free trial on this service. You can come and ask one question, and get it answered. Please get back to me if you have additional questions about your pulmonary status and I will reply. If you want to discuss hyperventilation syndrome (you have questions about medications or relaxation therapy, whatever), get back to me and I will reply. Dr Frank