Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I want to avoid starting Lipitor which is being recommended

Customer Question

I want to avoid starting Lipitor which is being recommended after my blood report numbers came in and I'm willing to lose weight (10-15 lbs) and start exercising to do it. My numbers: Cholesterol total is 236 (Range 125-200 mg/dL); HDL is 56 (Range > or = 46 mg/dl); LDL is 145 (Range <130 mg/dl). My Triglycerides are 177 (Range <150 mg/dl) Is there any reason to rush into the use of Lipitor if I'm serious about losing weight and increasing my exercising? I've already lost 4 lbs (from 165 to 160) since hearing about Lipitor and know I can lose the rest. I have great willpower when motivated and this drug has done that for me. I do not want to take it. My question is how bad are my numbers. I'm on pravastatin now, 40 mg. A friend of mine stayed on pravastatin-40 mg while losing weight and getting her numbers under control which were Total 242; LDL-171;and HDL-55 tho she didn't have her triglycerides noted. Am I at too great a risk not starting something stronger now?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 8 months ago.

Hello

NO

Lipitor is not even indicated with these numbers, unless you have known plaque and heart sdisease.

I would do your program and try to get off all statins otherwise.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here