Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

Woke up Sunday morning vomiting profusely and diarrhea

Customer Question

Woke up Sunday morning vomiting profusely and diarrhea couldn't even hold water down. Quit vomiting later that night still have diarrhea and still feeling nausea
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that you suffer this GI illness. It sounds that it is beginning to settle down as your vomiting has quieted....

I recommend that the irritation of the STOMACH lining may benefit from one week or so of an acid reducing medicine over the counter such as Nexium/ Prilosec/ Prevacid/ Pepcid or Zantac...

Nausea may benefit from over the counter Dramamine or Benadryl or Emetrol ( or precription Zofran or Phenergan ___if you visit your doctor )

The diarrhea may benefit from Pepto Bismol one dose after each loose stool up to 7 doses per day ...

RED FLAG SYMPTOMS -- GET MEDICAL ATTENTION ASAP IF >> Abdominal pain so severe that it prevents sleep --- FEVER with temp greater than 101.5 --- bloody diarrhea --- intractable vomiting returns -- significant dehydration becomes a concern ( light headed / rapid pulse )

Continue with bland diet and replenish fluids and electrolytes ...Gatorade / soups/ crackers / potatoes / rice / jello/ applesauce ....etc...

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns I will be happy to get back with you If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD