Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

My wife is in icu on a breathing machine taking profonol,she

Customer Question

my wife is in icu on a breathing machine taking profonol,she had the flu and they incubated her10 days ago she is still unresponsive and they say profonol is at 20,i dont know what that means but i need information, they say they are weening her off.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome,

Propofol is an anesthetic or sedating drug that is given to the patient who is intubated and on ventilator so that the patient remain sedated and do not get irritated by a tube in her throat and do not fight with ventilator. 20 is a low dose. Weaning off means doctors are taking off sedating medications and trying to put her off from ventilator so that she can be extubated and can maintain her own breathing. Sometimes patients who have lung problems and infections can take couple of days to week in weaning that is reestablishing their own breathing.So patients with respiratory problems are weaned slowly. I hope you understand now.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.