Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

Shortness of breath weeks and light pain in left side of

Customer Question

shortness of breath for 3 weeks and light pain in left side of chest
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Im 20 and have a history of heartburns and acid reflex
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: nothing I can think of i do exercise and healthy most of the time
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 7 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Shortness of breath accompanied with pain in the chest, if new onset, warrants an ECG and ruling out of any heart conditions like angina and acute coronary syndrome.

Previously, it was thought that ruling out heart conditions is only necessary in individuals above 40 years of age but since many acute heart problems have been reported in teenagers as well, it is best to get this done and out of the way for peace of mind and in the event that there is something, it should be diagnosed.

Most likely, your previous condition - acid peptic disease is the cause of the pain since heart conditions and stomach conditions mimic each other in symptoms. Once, an ECG is done and is normal, you can start on Prilosec (Omeprazole) 20 mg twice a day and sleep with a head up tilt of about 35 degrees at night to alleviate most of your symptoms.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars at the top of your screen.

Best regards.