Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have an itch that I can't stand anymore. It started in the

Customer Question

I have an itch that I can't stand anymore. It started in the area between my anus and scrotum, the it moved to my tigh. The worst is at night, I get sweaty and starts itching. During th he day I can ignore it, but at night I wake up and find myield scratching it, it gets to the point I can stop cause it feels so good and end up hurting my skin. I already tried using Lamisil, jock itch powder, lotrimin ringworm cream. Nothing helps. At simple view the area looks normal My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well this problem kinda comes and goes but this time has been the most agreswivel one
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

You are correct that a fungal infection is a common cause of these symptoms, and so the use of the various anti-fungal agents was a reasonable approach. Since these have not helped, it is much less likely that this could be a fungal infection. However, there are some cases of fungal infections that do not respond well to topical anti-fungals and ultimately need an oral anti-fungal for resolution. These are far less common, but are a possibility. The usual method for determination of a fungal infection when topical medicines have failed would be a scraping of the affected skin and microscopic examination, and if these symptoms persist, this may need to be done.

Since the antifungals did not help, the most likely cause would either be an inflammatory condition or a condition that is irritating the nerves that serve this area. Since there is no visible rash, it is less likely to be an inflammatory condition, but this is the condition that there are treatments available over the counter using either an oral antihistamine or a mild cortisone cream. Nerve irritation can occur anywhere along the course of the nerves, such as spinal disease or pelvic diseases that affect the nerve as it travels to this location. There are medicines that can help ease nerve irritation, such as gabapentin or pregabalin, but these are only available by prescription, so that it would be necessary to see your doctor.

So, it would be reasonable to try an over the counter antihistamine or cortisone cream to see if it helps. If the symptoms persist, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor for consideration of a scraping of the skin or a medicine to ease nerve irritation.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future question, I can be reached through my profile at