Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Newman. I have been on voltrient weeks now. Due an original

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** I have been on voltrient for several weeks now. Due an original adverse reaction, I was reduced from four pills a day to one. At that time I began having pain in my upper arms especially my left bicep.
I am now scheduled for a dental extraction on Wednesday and was told by my oncologist to stop the votrient before the procedure until 2 days after the procedure which will be Saturday.
My problem is that my left bicep has gotten sorer until
l, if I don't move it every so often, it becomes very had to move with out at lot of pain.could this be because of my stopping the Voitient?.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Votirent is primarily used for renal cell cancer or sarcomas.

What is the reason that the Votrient is prescribed?

What is the status of the underlying disease being treated with the Votrient?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

Votrient is reported to cause muscle cramps or joint pain as a possible side effect. It is not one of the more common side effects, but it is reported. However, it is not reported that this side effect would occur with decreasing the dose of the Votrient or stopping the Votrient.

Another scenario in which musculoskeletal pain may worsen with decreasing or stopping the Votrient would be if the underlying condition gets worse when the drug is stopped. This would be very unusual to get worse as quickly as you describe. However, the extent to which this may occur is dependent upon the underlying condition being treated.

So, there is no reported reason that decreasing or stopping the Votrient would cause muscle pain in the biceps, so it may be a unique reaction that you are having to the drug or it could be a coincidence.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.