Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had a heart scan,it says I have calcium,what do I do?

Customer Question

i had a heart scan,it says I have calcium,what do I do for this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

A cardiac CT scan for coronary calcium is what you are talking about which is an excellent test that tells us about the presence, location and extent of calcified plaque (plaques in the coronary arteries are commonly calcified i.e. there is a lot of calcium associated with the plaques) in the coronary arteries—the vessels that supply oxygen-containing blood to the heart muscle. Calcified plaque results when there is a build-up of fat and other substances under the inner layer of the artery. This material can calcify which signals the presence of atherosclerosis (plaque or blockage in the artery), a disease of the vessel wall, also called coronary artery disease (CAD). People with this disease have an increased risk for heart attacks. In addition, over time, progression of plaque build up (CAD) can narrow the arteries or even close off blood flow to the heart. The result may be chest pain, sometimes called "angina," or a heart attack.

So the bot***** *****ne is that the calcium score will tell us whether the arteries of your heart are blocked or patent and will also tell us about what to do next and your risk of heart attack as well.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.
Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.
Kindest regards