Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I feel I contracted v from blood's been 4 yrs

Customer Question

I feel I contracted hiv from blood's been 4 yrs multiple negative tests
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had got my blood draw done in 2012...n 1 week after that I got fever night sweats tingking and body ache .....since then I feel I hv contracted hiv dire to contaminated needle....however I have done about 15 fourth generation tests since then and all were non reactive ....over past 3 yrs
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have all the symptoms I even have a lump a small one on my arm n shoulder. ..n a small one in armpit. ...Wat do I do ....if it is hiv y can't the test detect it...I hv done 15 duo tests
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If you have had 15 fourth generation HIV tests at a reliable medical provider or lab, then you clearly do not have HIV.

It also would not be HIV that would cause fever and night sweats one week later, as the symptoms of an acute HIV infection start 2-3 weeks after an exposure. There are also a long list of diseases that can cause lumps, so the fact that you have the symptoms that you describe would not indicate an HIV infection.

At this point, it would be appropriate to see your doctor for a proper evaluation for the cause of the symptoms that you are experiencing, but you clearly do not have HIV.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks dr...but just wanted to know what about delayed aero conversion. .or if the tests didn't pick up the infection. ..I have shown many doctors but they all say they can't find anything wrong. ..I also get sever nimblness n tingling on hands and feet ....also can I get swollen lyph nodes on shoulder blades ?

There is no delayed seroconversion or failure to detect HIV with the fourth generation of tests. This current generation of HIV tests is much more sensitive than previous tests. There is an initial period of a few months that it may take for antibodies to form, but after that time, there has not been any reported cases of failure to detect HIV with the current generation of tests.

That is why I said that you clearly do not have HIV.

There is not a concentration of lymph nodes on top of the shoulder blades.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks dr for ur's not exactly at the top of the shoulder blade its on the shoulder as in the upper part if the arm. ...could that be a lyph node ?

It would depend upon which portion of the upper arm you are referencing. If you are referring to the outer aspect of the arm down from the outer aspect of the shoulder, then usually not. But if you are referring to an area closer to the fold of the arm near the armpit, then it could be a lymph node.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's the outer part dr ...not near the armpit

Then it is not likely a lymph node.

A lump in the armpit is likely a lymph node, but a lump on the outer aspect of the shoulder or arm would typically not be a lymph node.

But whether it is a lymph node or not, the 15 negative fourth generation tests indicate that you do not have HIV.