Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have had a body temperature that has been increasing and

Customer Question

Hi I have had a body temperature that has been increasing and then going down but not going lower than 99.9 since Wednesday evening
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I don't have a congestion, but I every time I stand up and walk I honestly feel like I'm going to die
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have a headache and tonight started seeing a shadow with color that follows my movement
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: I haven't been able to drop my fever tonight
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. I am Dr Love and will be assisting you tonight.

How high does the temperature get?

Could you be more specific about how you feel when you stand up?

Do you have the ability to check your blood pressure at home?

If so, can you check your blood pressure when you stand up?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can check it. It is the oddest thing my throat is burning, no drainage at all, I can swallow, but when I stand up and I feel like I'm going to cough up a lung, I feel like my blood flow rapidly changes, and when I start walking it's worse, I have to walk extra slow because my head hurts, my spine hurts, and my I have to take deep breaths.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm 42 a female, my head is pounding. I just used my son's pulse ox and I'm at 87.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My temperature has not not dropped below 102.3 tonight even with alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen.

The fever is a concern, but the concern is greater when it is associated with certain symptoms.

The most common cause of a fever that is going up and down is a viral infection, and a sore or burning throat is common with a viral infection. Coughing is also common with a viral infection. A cough also can occur with a bronchitis or a pneumonia, and these would be more of a concern if there is any shortness of breath, which you do not mention.

The most worrisome symptom that you describe, though, is that you feel like you are going to die, and if that is a sensation that you blood flow changes, that could be due to your blood pressure dropping when you stand up. This can occur with dehydration, which can occur with many different infections. But if the drop in blood pressure is significant, then it would be better to be seen.

If your pulse ox is 87, that would be another reason to be seen. It is possible that a pulse ox can give a falsely low reading in someone with a low blood pressure, because fingertips usually are the last thing to get blood. But with a reading of 87, it still would be appropriate to be seen.

If the oxygen level is accurately 87, that would be the equivalent of being short of breath, so would be worrisome for a pneumonia.

Therefore, it would be better for you to be seen urgently, and at this hour, that would usually mean in an emergency room.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Standing BP is 97/58 heart rate 125, sitting 104/60 121 and lying is 120/70 113
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, I just didn't want to go if it is something that can run its course, but I've had bouts of pneumonia in the past and PE's too.

With a blood pressure drop of 23 and a heart rate of 125, that would be another reason why you should be seen urgently. A blood pressure drop of 20 or more is considered significant.

Even with a condition that can run its course, such as a virus, that is causing dehydration of this severity would need urgent attention, usually of IV fluids.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.