Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have done MRI of thumb and it show bone marrow edema on

Customer Question

Hi Sir. I am Deepak Mishra.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have done MRI of thumb and it show bone marrow edema on the base of my thumb it is from last six month i had visited orthopedic surgeon many times. But he tell that it will heal own. i had x-ray in starting and it displayed small fracture in that and in later x-ray and MRI fracture has been healed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is common for bone marrow edema to occur with a fracture, but it would be better if I could review the various x-rays and MRI reports.

Could you attach the reports of the various x-rays and MRIs?

I had asked for the reports of the x-rays and MRIs and have not heard back

As I said above, there can be bone marrow edema associated with a variety of fractures. Bone marrow edema can also occur in a number of inflammatory conditions. Bone marrow edema can also be associated with growths in the bone, but there would typically be other evidence of the tumor., and if the only notation was of the edema, then there was apparently no other evidence of a tumor. Comparing the different reports can give a better idea of whether a specific cause of the bone marrow edema is apparent.

If there is no specific cause that is apparent, then your doctor may decide to simply monitor the thumb over time.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.