Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I'm 29 and I've got shingles last month. I did not do any

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: I'm 29 and I've got shingles last month. I did not do any unprotected sex. I'm afraid of having hiv when I do googling about shingles.please help me. I'm so so anxious and can't sleep well.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: ok. I'm waiting for your reply.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Although someone with an HIV infection is at an increased risk of developing shingles, it is still true that the vast majority of people seen with shingles do NOT have an HIV infection. And that is still true for younger people that develop shingles.

It is reasonable that everyone that is sexually active outside of a mutually monogamous relationship should be checked regularly for HIV, even if protection is consistently used. Certainly, using protection is the best that can be done if someone is sexually active, but it does not completely eliminate the risk.

So, if you are sexually active outside a mutually monogamous relationship, it is reasonable to be checked for HIV and I routinely recommend this to my patients, but I do not order additional testing in a young adult that develops shingles.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Olease let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at