Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Does a physical involve prostate exams less than 30 years of

Customer Question

Does a physical involve prostate exams for someone less than 30 years of age? If "no”, then please list all symptoms to where this would be performed by an internal medicine practitioner vs urologist? (Minus the urologist, what other doctor's if they felt like it, would perform prostate massage or drainages) - my boyfriend wants to know because it helps him psychologically : and how do we ask for this or do we need proof to acquire such attentions necessary, and would both a urologist, internal, nurse practitioner, or family medicine ever do this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

What is the physical exam for?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Routine. Cholesterol issues. Other problems. We don't feel like going to a Urologist cause they are clueless about everything. Does the doctor include prostate exams on a young person with a history of prostatitis or do they need proof of this before a prostate exam? (Does anyone other than a urologist do prostate drainage or massaging for the performance factor and or medical beside your typical urologist)? Is it up to the person or only selective based on speciality practiced??
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No medications. Only a undiagnosed infectious disease concern causing little symptoms but fear it's slowly cause vascular disease and were just realizing it now as we've tried a couple things. We are opting for research testing at this point. The doctor's we went to don't feel it's necessary to justify these CTA/MRA cause of age factors. We feel differently in spite of combatting multiple yet diagnosis's. How are we supposed to combat and challenge the doctor otherwise if there opinion is so concrete and stand still? We feel there allowed to write script for prevention scans if we were going to pay out of pocket. Even with that said they wouldn't authorize it. Why do they feel to ignore this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there aren't any risk for the test just wasted money. waiver form?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i've talked to radiology groups for CTA/MRA. They aren't yet in realization for waiver legal providences. So i'm stuck in a tough place. I've helped people my entire life and now i'm getting nothing but an illegal stiff arm. "yellow flag"-footall terminology thank you

Thank you for that additional information.

A prostate exam is usually a part of every complete physical exam on a male. Many times it is deferred due to social considerations (it is uncomfortable both emotionally and possibly physically for some patients).

As to getting to do tests like an CTA/MRA that she does not feel is medically indicted you are going to find that you are fighting a uphill battle that you are not really going to win. Doctors only order tests that they believe are medically indicated.....

Getting a doctor to do something against their will is like herding cats -- just ask my wife ;)

That being said there are centers across the country that will do imaging studies and selected blood work etc that you desire. Of course, they are doing these tests not because modern medicine deems them necessary to diagnose any particular illness or condition but, rather, because you want the test done.

As such, they can be expensive. And you have to pay 100% out of your pocket, usually in advance.

As to prostate massage, you can learn to do this for your boyfriend on your own.

Here is one website ( of many) that shows how to do this safely:

http://www.naturalprostate.com/Internal-Prostate-Massage.html

Does this make sense to you?

Now. It is time for you to do your part on this question/answer site:

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS