Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Does ginger help relieve shortness of breath, I've had

Customer Question

Does ginger help relieve shortness of breath
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I've had ginger in my diet before and at that time my shortness of breath seemed to be a little bit better. Now that I do not have it in my diet anymore, it has worsened. I was wondering if foods you eat (or don't eat) could contribute to health related matters being better or worse, or if that was just coincidental timing and maybe things just improved a little bit at that time for me.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have allergies and lupus, I've had them for years. Oral allergy syndrome has been mentioned to me recently, I don't know if that effects breathing symptoms though or if that's just mouth. I've had oral symptoms before without breathing being worse.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome,

Yes ginger has some role in treatment of alergies and asthama. Ginger has components such as gingerols, shogaols, and zingerones that act as anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties similar to Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).It has an anti-oxidant property that cleanses the harmful chemicals the body produces and relieves psychological stress which leads to asthma.It provides a therapeutic application in allergic asthma treatment. Ginger also helps to reduce the inflammation and swelling in the respiratory passages.Ginger inhibits the airway contraction and normalizes airways to enable proper breathing. But You experience moderate to severe shortness of breath you should consult your doctor for immediate relief through medications as it can be dangerous.

Let me know if you have further questions,

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Best.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Best.