Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

I have stage 4 cirrhosis with a MELD score of 8. I am told

Customer Question

I have stage 4 cirrhosis with a MELD score of 8. I am told 80% of my liver is gone and it is like a cement block. I am have muscle aches and joint pains a great deal of fatigue, also my nails are starting to change at the cuticle. Is this normal?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 8 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced Physician attending you.

MELD score is calculated based on bilirubin, creatinine and INR values which are key determinants of liver function.

Now when MELD score is below 15, there is no need for liver transplantation, and the chances of survival is more.

Please tell me what are your doctor's thoughts on your status, and what medicines are you taking?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No meds. Recheck in June. ultrasound and bloodwork. I would like to know about the syptoms I decribed to you. Can you answer that?

Sure.

About muscle pains and fatigue, these are not normal, says protein metabolism is not proper to certain extent. But, there are many other causes to it.

Nail changes you are having is called clubbing, present in cirrhosis of liver.

Now, all the symptoms you explained are related to liver disease, and are not normal.

But, with MELD score of 8, I can't say the liver disease is severe that it normal function can't be reverted back.

Hope this answered your question.

Request to click on the positive rating, on the top right corner of the chat box, so that I'm compensated for the answer.

Wish you a speedy recovery and good health!