DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I have had a receding hairline since 2011... 3 yrs ago, I

Customer Question

I have had a receding hairline since 2011... 3 yrs ago, I had it biopsiedbeen told I have a hair loss problem Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia which is an auto immune, inflammatory condition; she said it is not hormonal, as in I might be producing to much DHT.
The dermatologist is giving me a topical "topicort" and prescribed Doxycyclin 2x a day.
Is there some natural way to eliminate inflammation... I don't have a problem with either of the meds but they don't seem to help. I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis... any connection?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

I would try exercise and a Mediterranean style diet

Both can reduce inflammation

have you tried this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I exercise 3x a week with tapes and walk 1-2 miles, plus I do all my own housework and outside property maintenance.
but .. I have not tried the Mediterranean diet. I do not eat pasta or potatoes anymore and eat salads for lunch every day.
where can I find the Mediterranean diet?:

Get the boat "eat to live" by joel fuhrman

it will explain it

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

eat to live is not the Medditerranean diet. I will explain as I know Dr. Furhman well. His diet is an anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense diet, which he calls a nutritarian diet. It has far less pro-inflammatory elements than does a standard MEdditerranean diet.

I have a different answer for you, in fact.

You need an anti inflammatory diet, or you need to modify the mediterranean diet to cut out its inflammatory foods, such as pasta and any refined carbs or sugars. And, in many cases, too many animal products.

The list of books I give you will have the scientific citations for this.

This is stricter than the Med diet.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the books: Eat to Live, Super Immunity, and An End to Diabetes by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

In addition, reducing inflammation is a comprehensive approach.

Any chronic infection must be eliminated, teeth are often a culprit, and gum disease is a big culprit.

In addition bowel dysfunction and inflammation needs to be addressed

Any hormonal /neurotransmitter dysfunction must be addressed: and if your TSH is above 1, you are being under treated for your thyroid, according to a number of studies in treated patients.

Toxicity must be addressed along with bio transformation: your ability to eliminate toxins.

Cellular and physical structural issues, as well as stress levels must be addressed.

Find a doctor on this web site

functionalmedicine.org

An MD certified in functional medicine will practice most of what I am giving you.

I am a double board certified US doctor, in internal medicine and integrative medicine. Functional medicine is a part of our integrative medicine certification.

Find me anytime, Dr. Thomas.

Please click a positive on this post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am not sure what ? means.

Perhaps you did not read my answer or it did not come through

Here it is again.

Hello

This is stricter than the Med diet.

leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
A little tofu or tempeh daily

Find a doctor on this web site

functionalmedicine.org

Find me anytime, Dr. Thomas.

Please click a positive on this post.