Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I've had very sore throat, fever, headache, wheezy cough and

Customer Question

Hello
I've had very sore throat, fever, headache, wheezy cough and earache since Sunday 4 days. I have been prescribed penicillin but so far not improved.
Coughing up brown sticky phlegm. Struggling to sleep and when I do wake up soaked through in sweat. It's endless...
Thought I had tonsillitis but have had it in the past and never felt this ill. Any idea?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome,

It seems like you are suffering from respiratory tract infection. The best move for you would be to get a swab test or sputum culture and sensitivity done so that exact bacteria which is causing it can be identified and antibiotics accordingly can be given. You might need different antibiotic like levofloxacin. Meanwhile take steam and gargle with Luke warm water with salt and take 2 tablets of tylenol every 8 hourly and take cough syrup with expectorant in it.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The Drs in the uk work a little different. I ws told I would have to finish my course of penicillin then go back to the Drs. Do you think I should wait or insist on going back?In the meantime unable to sleep due to the pain. I'm taking ibruprofen as we don't have the mess u suggested. Guessing that's the same.Thank you
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Yes you can wait for another 2 days and see your doctor after your antibiotics finish and if symptoms do not improve. Ibuprofen is fine but if you take paracetamol or acetamenophen it will lower down fever as well along with pain relief. Gargles and steam inhalation would help a lot.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 8 months ago.

Wish you good health.,