Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 months ago.

Hello !

What is your question regarding the mediastimum?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My chest x ray say slight widening superior mediastium

Hello again,

I see.. well this means that there is a relative prominence of the midline structures in the chest between your lungs..

This may be an incidental finding as a strong and common possibility..

You may best discuss this with your doctor as we would usually evaluate that with a chest CT which gives a much clearer and more complete view of the mid chest structures..

It can be associated with prominent lymph nodes, enlarged thymus or thymoma, aortic enlargement or aneurysm

So it is the type of finding that has a wide range of possible causes that as you see from my partial list above can be serious but the chest xray finding alone is often not of a serious nature but has some bad potential causes so further follow up is recommended with that type finding...

I hope that this is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions . I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD