Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

In a recent blood test as part of one of those health

Customer Question

Hi. In a recent blood test as part of one of those health check/MOT things, I have slightly elevated B2 macroglobulin levels (i.e.: 10% beyond the normal range of the blood tests). I can't give you the mg/L number as the test results are expressed as %'s (i.e.: I got 7.3% whereas the normal range is 3.2% to 6.5%). All my other numbers are within the normal range, including Albumin which is in the middle of the range except for Basophil count which is 80 ul (normal range is 10-70). I also have had a lot of colds/flu since September last year, however chest CT was normal and a recent ultrasound of my abdomen revealed no issues (for some stomach problems I'm having). I know that these are only slightly elevated and I have a doctor's visit booked. However, please can you give me a feel for whether such a slightly raised B2 situation is statistically a cause for concern (as I cannot seem to find anything on these kind of results - just staging discussions for more elevated levels) and can you tell me the potential less serious causes of this (as I can only see very bad news on the internet). Many thanks. Kind regards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Not at all.

Slight elevation with other normal components is not a concern.

Even recent viral infection can cause such anomaly.

No further work up is needed,.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile: