Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I have diverticulitis. CT scan verified. i have groin pain

Customer Question

I have diverticulitis. CT scan verified. i have groin pain that increases during the day....with increased activity more pain. I have been prescribed Alevian Duo..I'm in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I have taken this for 2 weeks...on a 4 week program, but the symptoms have not diminished.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It seems like it has spread from just the left side to the right now. I take volteran for pain....I also have arthritis...and it does not impact the divert. The Dr. told me it wouldn't help. I'm active and walk a lot. My bowel movements are not difficult. I had the CT scan to determine what might be going on. I was first convinced it was hip pain...I have had hip replacements many years ago. An orthopedist here examined me and his opinion was that it was not orthopedic. I've had this pain for several months. I had a bacterial infection before this. I took flagyl to treat The BI is apparently gone. I don't believe Alevian is an antibiotic...I think the doctor is avoiding antibiotic treatment due to the multiple antibiotics given previously.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

This is Dr. David

the groin pain may not be from diverticulosis.

Alevian Duo contains Pinaverium bromide 100 mg (which is a stomach antacid), Simethicone 300 mg (antigas agent) ..... dimethicone (lubricant). this is not an antibiotic.

this is not even the right treatment for diverticulosis.

for diverticulosis, you will need a strong antibiotic such as flagyl or ciprofloxicin or both.

you need to see a doctor to get a physical exam to see if you have a pulled groin muscle or a inguinal hernia (more common in men)

active and living can cause strain or tears of your groin muscle

you need to increase your fiber intake to help prevent future diverticulosis attacks of pain.

that is good your bowel movements are not difficult.

with more increased activity causing more pain, this is often seen with a pulled or strained groin muscle.

ask your doctor about this possibility.

ice and rest are the best way to heal a groin muscle tear.

you might benefit in the future from gentle stretching of the groin muscle to prevent this sort of strain in the future

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using