Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have been having tightness in my left back, neck, and arm.

Customer Question

I have been having tightness in my left back, neck, and arm. A few days ago I woke up (4am) with tingling down my arm. I went to the ER and they did troponin tests every few hours and the numbers were 0 (7am), 0.01 (9am) and 0 (2pm). Everything says that small fluctuations can mean heart damage and that it isn't detectable in a healthy heart. I also found many sites that list the range of <.01, but my test listed a range of <.07. Why is the range so high if there should t be any present?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

are you M/F?

Have you ever had this sort of thing before?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am a female. I have had anxiety issues in the past.

Thank you for that additional information.

From what you have posted it does not seem like your symptoms were due to anything going wrong with your heart.

When you look online (with the help of the Evil Dr. Google and others) and notice that other labs list their normal values as <0.1 and the test you had listed this as <0.7 that is just because each and every lab has their own range of normal. This is based on the specific test they are running and what their particular results in their own lab have shown to be normal values.

Do not believe what all the other sites on the internet say "should" be normal. The only normal range that matters is that which is associated with the exact test you had.

So. What is the take home message?

1. Stop chatting with the Evil Dr. Google ;)

2. You were given the correct care at the ER and your heart is just fine.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I have one more question. I noticed that the ecg from my ER visit shows some slight elevation in lead 5/6 that wasn't present in previous ecgs. I have a little knowledge reading ecgs, but not enough to understand if it is a bad change.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The last file is the most recent. The first one was taken about a month ago. The second one is about 8 years old. Sorry they are out of order

Thank you for that data.

As far as I can tell that is nothing to worry about at all.

Of course, the best person to interpret your EKG would be your doctor/cardiologist who knows your entire history, clinical presentation and other findings.

So. What is the take home message?

You are fine from a heart health point of view.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS