Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had surgery on the meniscus on right knee of 9/25/15 and

Customer Question

I had surgery on the meniscus on right knee of 9/25/15 and had to also have surgery of the meniscus on left knee of 11/25/16 (day before Thanksgiving). Before left knee surgery my hemoglobin level was 10.4 and the hematocrit level was 33.2 (both low, but not too much). After second surgery my recovery has been hampered by anemia, which was not treated until one month ago. Latest levels from Feb 9th are 9.3 and 29.5 respectively. I am currently taking following medications to improve: Vitamins B12, 1000mg, C, 500mg, and Ferrous Sulfate 325 mg tablet & Folic Acid 1mg tablet. The Folic Acid and Vitamin C is recent, from one wk ago. I feel I am not getting better. I am very tired and weak. Please can you advise? Thank you, ***** ***** (*****@******.***)
PS - I am also taking a dieretic Triamgerenne HCTZ 37.5-25mg since my knees and ankles were very, very swollen (it's been going down).
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

I think that if your levels are not improving with medication, you would require a blood transfusion to help you heal quicker.

Has that been considered till now?

Have you had your iron, vitamin B12 and folate levels checked?

What is the cause of your anemia? I mean, has that been determined as yet?

Please let me know.

Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 8 months ago.

I am looking forward to your response.