Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

During the night I have excess saliva and when I swallow it

Customer Question

During the night I have excess saliva and when I swallow it tends to go down the wrong way and I wake up coughing. I have an electric bed and have lifted the head of the bed to point were if i move too much I slide down the bed. Once I sit up and stop coughing I lay down again and as soon as I go to sleep the same things happen. In the end I usually get up and doze in my arm chair. It is not a good sleep in the arm chair. What can I do lesson my excess saliva.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 8 months ago.

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Since how long this has been going on? Do you get any cough on drinking water? Do you feel bad taste in your mouth? Do you have symptoms like fluid trickling in throat, nasal obstruction, nasal discharge etc? Regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It has been happing on and off for the last month or so. I do not cough when drinking water. I do not get a bad taste in my mouth. I do some times feel fluid trickleing in my throat

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per your description there can be many causes of your excessive saliva. These include a chronic sinus infection that causes excessive fluid that goes to your throat and then voice box and cause irritation and cough. This cough increases on lying down because the larynx comes more in line with nose while lying. The other possible cause can be acid going from the stomach to throat, causing inflammation, and excessive mucus and cough subsequently. Don't worry; I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you can try OTC tablet Benadryl twice daily and capsule Omeprazole 20 mg twice daily for 7 days. If you start feeling better in next 7 days, you can continue the above measures for 2 weeks. If your symptoms persist, see your doctor because this is treatable and you are going to be alright. I would like to share a home remedy. Take 250 ml of honey; add one table spoon each of ginger extract and black pepper. Make a solution and take one teaspoon twice daily. It might take 7 days or more but will help you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards