Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I took 2.5mg of Ativan 3:00pm. Can I drink alcohol at around

Customer Question

I took 2.5mg of Ativan 3:00pm. Can I drink alcohol at around 9:30?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just want to know if I can drink alcohol if I took 2.5mg of Ativan earlier today
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

As you are probably aware, since you asking the question, it is generally recommended to avoid combining Ativan with alcohol. So, the issue in this situation is whether there is still a sufficient amount of Ativan in your system that there would still be an issue 6 and 1/2 hours later, and the answer is yes.

Obviously, the drug will peak about 1/2 - 1 hour after swallowing the medicine The level will gradually decrease after the peak. The time that it takes for the level to decrease by half s called the half-life, and the half-life for Ativan is at least 10 hours, and can be as long as 20 hours. So, at 6 and 1/2 hours, the level will likely be about 70-80% of the peak level, so the level would still be such that the overall recommendation to avoid combining the Ativan and alcohol would still be in effect.

Obviously, combining alcohol with Ativan at 70-80% of the peak level would not be as risky as combining alcohol with the peak level, but it still would be recommended to avoid the combination.

For future reference, it is generally considered OK if the patient waits for the level to be about half of the peak, so about one half-life, or at least 10 hours for the Ativan. It still would be appropriate to be cautious with alcohol intake at that point in time, particularly being cautious about driving, but a low level of alcohol intake would be OK.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/