Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

It feels like I have a marble stuck in my throat around my

Customer Question

It feels like I have a marble stuck in my throat around my atoms Apple area. It hurts when I swallow. I have had some allergies but haven't been sick. Should I be concerned about my thyroid or cancer? I'm also a 3 pack a day smoker x 15 years
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified physician. I can help you today. usually such a sensation is due to acid reflux. But with your smoking history, you need to be extra careful. Although this sensation doesn't seem like it would be a variation on heartburn. It usually is. The recommendation would be to first try some over the counter medication like Prilosec for 14 days and cut out alcohol, coffee, tomatoes, citrus, spicy foods and mint. If those measures don't help, we'd recommend that a person seek medical help in person. There can be a diverticulum (pocket) formed in the esophagus or irritation of the esophagus that is more severe. And yes, we'd also check your thyroid and for tumors or growths pressing on the structures of the throat. But those are less likely causes relative to gastrointestinal causes.

I hope this was reassuring and helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything or add details.

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 9 months ago.

Hi Timothy,

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced General Physician attending you today.

Based on the symptoms you provided, I want you to get these two tests done immediately.

1. Endoscopy to rule out any abnormality in esophagus

2. Chest x-ray to rule out any untoward happening to the lungs as you are a smoker

This kind of sensation is not to be ignored; please meet a surgeon or gastroenterologist or your physician who can advise you the following tests.

Based on the test reports, the treatment can be further advised.

Please feel free to ask if any further questions. If done for now, please leave a positive rating

[Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "For Dr. Chaithanya only" in the medical or health categories.

Below link is the fastest way to reach me,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A little bonus from your side is welcome and highly appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com