Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I am curious as to what this could be. 1 month ago I have

Customer Question

Hello there, I am curious as to what this could be. 1 month ago I have had a complete change in lifestyle. I have stopped smoking, and go to the gym 4 times a week. I am 27 years old and am in fairly good shape too. I've noticed though how sometimes I have a dry cough, but the funny thing is, is that it only occurs when I "induce" it myself. It's not an involuntary cough. I notice that this also occurs more in a sense when I have had a hard workout, and to be honest when I "induce" a cough whilst sitting down there is basically nothing. I do feel I have a dry throat sometimes, but still try my best to hyrdrate myself etc. I have no chest pain or anything of that sort, but as I say it is rather odd how this dry cough occurs only whilst standing and if I induce the cough myself. Is there anything I should do or not do to stop this?
Many thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 8 months ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Dry cough can be due to varied causes. I am happy that there is no chest pain or fever. It rules out infection. Other causes can be irritation at the throat {inflammation or reflux disease}/ raised eosinophil count {allergic}.

Next step - A physical evaluation along with few investigations like blood tests, throat swab and upper GI scopy. These would give us the cause.

As of now - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol/ have multiple small meals instead of few large/ do not lie down immediately after having food.

Wish you well.

Best