Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I recently had a CBC done. My RBC was slightly low 4.33

Customer Question

I recently had a CBC done. My RBC was slightly low 4.33 (Range:4.6-6.0)
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: My HGB and HCT were on the low side of normal as well.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: just curious if this was considered anemia?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $29 after the Doctor responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Although any number below the normal range is strictly speaking considered to be anemia, if the HGB and HCT were similarly just slightly below the normal range, then this is not significant.

This has to do with how we define the normal range for most labs. The normal range is defined two standard deviations above and below the average. If you have ever taken a statistics course, then you may recall that two standard deviations above and below the average will include 95% of the population. However, that also means that 5% of normal people will be outside the normal range. So, when we see lab results that are just outside the normal range, it is usually not worrisome.

So, yes, this would be considered to be anemia, by strict definition, but it is not a significant level of anemia and would only be worrisome if there are any other symptoms that would be consistent with a cause of anemia, such as bleeding.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/