Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have been on laxatives years, taking constipation, that

Customer Question

I have been on laxatives for many years, taking for chronic constipation, that worsened from Sogrens disease flaring which causes constipaiton, via the drying out of everything. I am trying to get off laxatives and went off 4 days ago. I had a bowel movement the next day, but not since. The docs I saw in the hospital said to use something every 3 days, like miralax, while other doctors on here said stop cold turkey and my doc today said to try and stay off but use a different laxative, after 3-5 days. I am very swollen, puffy hands and ankles, which my doctor said was due to stopping the laxatives, so tat is not helping. Is weaning a bad idea, it is less taxing ob the body?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

You cannot stop cold turkey --the withdrawal symptoms are what you are experiencing now.

You should resume same laxative at original dose and then gradually taper down.

It may not be possible to be off completely as you have intestinal motility disorder.

Also increase dietary fiber intake as well.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So the withdrawal of laxatives causing the edema and higher BP, yes it started to happen when I stopped. How much would you reduce it by, and would you say not everyday, like every two days, and what type of doctor are you?

also when I had the low sodium they said if was from too much free water and the laxatives, so would you say drink eletrolytte waters if I go back on?

If you cannot respond can you open the question up, thanks

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

You should reduce the dose by 20% every week.

You should drink plenty of electrolyte water like gatorade to prevent low sodium.

Increase dietary salt intake also.

I am an internist with plenty of experience in cases like yours.

So you can trust me :)

Best wishes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so you think the electrolyte drink will stop the low sodium issue? I also reduced my free water intake to 50 ounces. So would you recommend skipping days, or doing every 3 rd day, or just go down 20%

are you a doctor, is so what type?

and is wean so go fro 10 to 9?. then 9 to 8....?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Yes cutting down free water and switching to electrolyte water will help.

20% reduction per week is better so that your body will get adjusted to the lowering dose gradually.

Yes that is correct 10-9-8 so on.

I am an Internal medicine specialist.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So you are not a doctor?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

YES I AM A DOCTOR AND A SPECIALIST.

Otherwise, i will not be able to practice medicine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok so you are an MD and you have had patients in this situation? So would you skip the laxatives, or still take daily?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

You should take daily and lower dose gradually.

For example if you are on 10 mg daily, you should go down to 8 mg daily for a week, then 6 mg daily a week and so on.

That way you will avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile:

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So when I get down to less, you think my bowels can work and would you recommend adding anything, besides Fiber, and would you change the laxative or keep it the same?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Yes you will have much less problem.

Please stay with the same laxative for convenience.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

SO it is for sure better to wean then stop cold turkey, if i wean could i alternate every other day?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Yes absolutely

Yes you can alternate also

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so skip a day and take none, and then take 8?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Yes correct

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

one expert here told me to stop now, and not use anymore, do you think weaning is dangerous, I mean I have taken them for years, if I wean does that give the bowels time to adjust?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Please rate the chat to continue this chat further --I already replied 8 times with enough information.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I have had experts reply 10 times and never want more $$ to continue to answer. I have a spent a lot of this question. I just wanted to know if what you advised could be dangerous, thats ok.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

I do not get a single penny unless you complete the rating process for original question.

Additional offer is optional not charged with original question.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

not sure what that means, but I don't want to pay another $40. to find out

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

40$ will not be charged since you declined it.

Please do rate the chat as you promised originally posting the question.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes if you could answer the remainder of my question, I would rate you.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

i already posted 10times here --that contain all the answers of your question.

check my post 1 to 4

Best wishes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

on your 9th response you said I needed to leave feedback and ask another ?? and two of the answers before that were when I asked if you were a doctor and all you said is yes or I would not be able to practice.

I asked you a question about your answer and you should have answered. I have never had a doctor on here do this.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

those are still replies to your questions right?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

not the medical questions about what I was asking. It is fine. You don't need to try to follow up.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

ok best wishes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

to clarify, saying please rate the response....... from you is not in response to any question, and I asked twice what kind of doctor you were because you were not clear, so I wasted two of my follow up ??? with asking you to answer what type of do you are, so really three of the responses had nothing to do with addressing my question.

You made 6 responses to medical info, two of the responses you did not spend any time elaborating, said things like, "yes that is correct". So then I asked for more info, most experts are very detailed, like I reposted this question since you did not answer fully I felt and Dr. Love gave such detailed response and explanations, that I only had to follow up with a few questions which he also replied to in a very detailed way. It is much more helpful for someone when you explain why you are saying something, rather than just yes, to you can do that......those are not medical answers.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

In my first reply i already introduced myself '

Hi there,

This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.'

Here is the copy what I said on your first question:

are you a doctor, is so what type?

10/03/2016 06:21

Me

I am an Internal medicine specialist.

I did not know you do not understand ( Internal medicine specialist).

And asking that question If I am a doctor is unnecessary since in medical category only verified MDs can reply to your question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I know, you said you answered 8 times, and what I am saying is that I was trying to figure out if you were a doctor, because is says specialist and I don't think you are, and you counted two questions of me trying to clarify if you are a doctor, as medical concerns and you actually never answered the question of what type, i.e. MD, internal med......if you are a doctor.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

What you believe is not the reality.

If you do not know what internal medicine is, I had no idea to know that.

And if you do not know that all experts in medical category of Just Answer are verified MDs, that is also not my fault.

I am content with so many happy customers here on this site and patients in my own practice.

Best wishes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What I believe?? I reread the conversation. It is a reality. I of course know what internal medicine, was trying to see if you were an internal med doc, since it said specialist, like what that meant, or an MD. That does not mean you should count that as a medical question, that is just lazy, carelessness, and now you are just making excuses. If I ask what kind of doctor you are, that is not covering the scope of my question whatsoever. You did not do your job and I will contact Just answer and ask for a refund, because moots this conversation has been about nothing and when I asked if something would be dangerous that you said would be the best way, then you should answer.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

You asked, here is the quote, 'one expert here told me to stop now, and not use anymore, '---you are asking me about another expert from this site.

I am not supposed to comment on that as that is against the site policy.

You never rated this chat so you never paid anything.

Putting a deposit is not the same as making payment to expert.

Anyway,let's not continue on this tone anymore.

No hard feelings.

Best wishes

And I will opt out for no further conversation

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes I did pay, but I am getting money back. You answered the question and told me to wean, and I will ask Just Answer if you can not comment if one expert did, funny I have had it happen a few times where more than one expert did and I never heard this. But since your saying you could not answer I should get my money back.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

Sure no problem.

I am sorry I cannot comment on someone else's post here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am on phone with Just answer they said there is no rule that you can not comment when I asked the question and another expert comments or answered, as Dr Love did after you would not finish the question. I am being refunded now.

I have had many experts comments on the same question before, you are not being up front, or fair and that is fine because I have been refunded and I was charged. So you were also wrong about that, you do not get paid if I don't rate your service, I get charged either way. Luckily I get a discount because I use this site a lot, and I don't think you represented it well, if you were not supposed to comment when other expert did, then you should have not commented, and Dr Love would not comment then after, soI don't think you are being at all honest.

Refund Confirmation
Hi Mollie,

This message confirms we have processed a refund in the amount of $20from your JustAnswer account.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

I have no comments.

I cannot be bought for 17 usd.

I will answer within my principles only.

Peace

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes you lied. That is not what your site is for, you are supposed to provide and answer if you take a question, which you did.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I also received another credit for my deposit of $5.

Also if you don't want to be "bought" you should not be offering your services here and taking people's questions or concerns about their health, that does not seem what a real doctor who do, or say. I am going to contact them again, to express concerns on how to find out your medical credential. I have serious questions as to whether you are a real doctor and you are giving a medical opinion to REAL people.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 11 months ago.

I already answered your questions in earlier posts --and you kept repeating same questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No I asked you if weaning slowly posted any dangers or could be dangerous, which I asked once, and you stopped answering and said you had commented 8 times, and you were not required to do more, which as you read, two the comments, were responses to whether you were a doctor.

I have been refunded for this question and another expert answered it yesterday and was VERY helpful.