DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My wife's mother is 83 and we think she takes too many blood

Customer Question

My wife's mother is 83 and we think she takes too many blood pressure pills. She is normally taking one in the morning and one in the evening. On certain days or nights she will take as many as three pills. I think this is crazy but she is 83 and tells me to mind my own business. If she consumes that many blood pressure pills at once shouldn't she be fearful of a fatal overdose? I think she takes way too many. Help!
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No i don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Call here doctor.

He knows the prescription.

Look on the bottles, it should say how often she should take these.

If she is taking more, it is too much.

It is not uncommon for an older person to have 2 or 3 BP meds if they have hard to control hypertension.

Find out if this is the case.

We can not tell you if the prescriptions are too much, but I can tell you if the dosing is within the typical amount if you have those.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.