Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr. Love, Since I'm so worried about my immune system

Customer Question

Dr. Love,Since I'm so worried about my immune system not working, are you sure that if the AI's stop a cell from growing, it will die on it's own from apoptosis?
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 8 months ago.

He doesn't seem to be working now. May I take your question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Can you tell me more about your situation?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am taking aromatase inhibitors for breast cancer and the way they work is to lower your estrogen, so estrogen positive cancer cells die. But I am very low on white cells for the last two years (from chemo). I have heard that the AI's only make the cancer stop growing. Then the question is do they just die with time, or does your immune system have to kill them. If you don't know the answer, please put it back out for Dr. Love.

AI's do not kill cancer cells, instead they stop them growing and spreading. Your immune system could kill them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that didn't answer my question, I think I"ll wait for dr.Love. thank you anyway
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

I answered this on another thread-

Since we cannot perform a post-mortem examination of single cells, we will never be able to definitely say how they died. As we said before, all cells die if they do not grow, and there is no evidence that this is not true for breast cancer cells when AIs are used. But it is also true that we will never do a study where we intentionally wipe out the immune system in women with breast cancer while treating with AIs and continue to suppress the immune system for a long enough period of time to document that the AIs will be effective despite an inadequate immune system.

But there also is no reason for you to be concerned about your immune system. The low neutrophil count is not at a level to indicate an inadequate immune system. And you have not said that you are experiencing recurrent infections throughout the body, which is the usual sign that the immune system is inadequate. The single scratchy sore throat is not a pattern that would indicate an inadequate immune system.