Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Trying to find out answers about my father. My father is 85

Customer Question

Trying to find out answers about my father. My father is 85 years old. 10 weeks ago he fell and broke his arm. I moved him and my mother into my house. Since the fall, he has had trouble sleeping. He is up many times during the night to urinate and was waking up with hallucinations. When he wakes up in the morning his mind is not clear and he having delusional thoughts. He just wants to sleep all day and for the most part his mind is clear, except for occasional delusions during the day. His memory is okay. Knows and remembers what is going on around him. What is happening to him? Had taken him to the doctors two weeks ago to check for a urinary tract infection. Doctor put him on Cipro, which he took for 6 days, and he ended up not having an infection. He used to be very active and drive himself. Now he has become very frail.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

These symptoms are often seen in dementia and also depression. These are unlikely to be directly due to the fracture of the arm. Change of residence, confinement to the bed, pain, lack of a routine or a change in routine can cause all these symptoms to aggravate in the elderly.

However, before we consider inorganic conditions like dementia, depression etc. I suggest you take him to his doctor and have him evaluated completely. Electrolyte imbalance, neurological examination and sleep patterns should be evaluated to rule out any organic conditions that might be the cause.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He was just at the doctor. Bloodwork was done. What is an electrolyte imbalance and what do you mean by organic conditions.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the reply

Electrolytes are essential in the body for its function, namely, sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium and calcium. In routine or baseline blood work, their levels are included. Electrolyte balance is essential for normal function. Organic conditions are those which are not psychological, for example, ischemic stroke, transient ischemic attacks etc.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can dementia come on that quickly. Can his lack of quality sleep contribute to this?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Yes, it is possible that the dementia was already there but the recent change in routine, sleep and place of stay has accelerated the progression of the disease.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could it be delirium caused by stress, change of environment and lack of sleep?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Indeed, that is a possibility, but all this is just speculation until the evaluation is completed.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All he wants to do is sleep. Is this the dementia?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

I can not speculate over the internet. Definitely, dementia must be kept in the differentials. Sleepiness is a symptom seen in dementia, having said that, it can also be seen in many other conditions that mimic dementia.

The best course of action will be to have him keep a close follow up with his doctors and I know its difficult to wait on a diagnosis but careful evaluations do take time.

Please do rate the answer as that is the only way I am compensated for my service.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just looking for your opinion. Have to wait till tomorrow for the doctor.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Why else would I be spending this money. Looking for an opinion, not to tell me to see another doctor.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it can be dementia but before labeling it as that I too would like to wait for the results of the labs and the doctor's final verdict, as his doctor is in the best position to diagnose the condition, s/he has had the opportunity to examine him.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

You need to understand that I can not give you a diagnosis here based solely on the symptoms you mentioned, I can give you a differential, which I have in my previous posts and help you with your queries.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not worth the money.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

I fail to understand what you are looking for.

My apologies.

Take care and wish your father the best of health. :)