Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a sensation in my ear that feels like a worm is

Customer Question

Hi, I have a sensation in my ear that feels like a worm is crawling in there. I usually get a q tip and it helps sometimes. I notice it most at night. It's not as bad when I take allergy meds. could it be a worm. ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. I am now feeling the same sensation in my eyes. Feels like worms crawling.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

No, there are no worms that infest the ear, the feeling of a worm crawling or tingling/itching in the ear is usually seen in wax impaction in the outer ear. This can be confirmed on an ear examination at your doctor's. If there is wax impaction, then it can be taken care of by preparation with glycerine drops for 3 days and then currettage or syringing at the ENT's office.

Worms that invade the eye are usually seen in African countries and are rarely seen in the U.S., and in those patients who have had a recent travel history to central Asia or Africa.

I do not think you have a worm problem. Please do discuss this with your doctor for a clinical review.

Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.