Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I was wondering what the significance is of a very gh MCV,

Customer Question

Hi Pearl: I was wondering what the significance is of a very high MCV, MCH, almost low RBC, and ESR of 2. I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (my TPO ab is 675 and my Thyroglobulin ab is 211) - i am positive for cardiolipin ab at 14 (indeterminate) though my ANA tests are negative. I'm EXTREMELY TIRED and some days when I have energy I use it all, and it takes me a week to get back to my 'normal' fatigue feeling versus being wiped out just because I used my energy. I also have consistently low complement 4 (it's never been normal) and my C3 waffles between very low and normal.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i'm negative for sojern, RA is only 9ab so it's negative, ANA is negative, SCL is negative dsDNA is negative......it appears other than the anemia and Hashi's everything except the cariolipin ab (IGM) is negative. Just wondering what else might be tested to account for any other AI diseases lurking in me or is this all strictly related to Hashi's and anemia and the complement abnormality - my CK is also very low and my ESR remains at 2 and has been 2 for a very long time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: i meant cariolipin (IGM) is positive at 14 which i know is indeterminate
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

MCV can be high for a lot of reasons

One of the most common is a low B12 level

Was this tested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was diagnosed with B12 anemia and tried the shots and take 1000's of mcg of B12 and my MCV seems to respond for a short period and then begins climbing up again

Is your B12 level normal?

do you drink alcohol?

thyroid issues?

thanks for this question

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)

if you have more questions, just reply