Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

I have been diagnosed with microvascular heart disease, have

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with microvascular heart disease, have been taking 10 mg Amlodipime and .06 nitro patch. This evening my ankles and feet were very red, and my ankles are now swollen, my knee feeling somewhat stiff. Could this be an allergic reaction, is it dangerous, what should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

Hello Judith,

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced Physician attending you.

Having a history of heart disease, when there is swelling of lower limbs, the first thing to rule out is the swelling of legs due to low pumping of blood due to a weak heart. Second thing, it can be hypertension, an allergic reaction is the last thing, and considered if you have the previous history of allergy.

You should consult a doctor as soon as you can so that he can examine you and suggest a doppler test of legs if required, or he just increase the dose of your nitro patch/amlodipine or add another drug.

Any color change is an emergency and if swelling is increasing it is an emergency, otherwise, wait till morning to go to a doctor.

Keep your legs elevated to 45 degrees above ground level.

Please feel free to ask if any further questions. If done for now, please leave a positive rating

[Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "For Dr. Chaithanya only" in the medical or health categories.

Below link is the fastest way to reach me,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A little bonus from your side is welcome and highly appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

I have little different opinion .

I have seen that you want to ask specifically about the adverse reaction of any drug that you are using being reason of swollen ankle and feet .

I want to share with you that Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker and the most common side effect of this drug is ankle swelling , along with flushing and redness .

If you have recently developed swelling than it is highly likely that Amlodipine is culprit .

You shouldnot worry at all this will go away almost within week to ten days after stopping drug .

Second you should add little diuretic like Tab Natrliex SR once a day it will help you out to overcome swelling and also it is diuretic that will reduce swelling .

So please proceed as I advised you .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Positive feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks .

These are differential diagnosis of your condition, and you need to get examined and investigated to know if symptoms are severe and progressing.

Request you to rate the answer posiitvely, so that I'm compensated.

Wish you a speedy recovery.