Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Gastrointestinal, I think, in 2010 I was hospitalized to 5

Customer Question

gastrointestinal, I think
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: in 2010 I was hospitalized to 5 days and ultimately diagnosed with Salmonella. Since then every 3 to 4 months I get the same symptoms....extreme dizziness, naseau, vomiting and very strong smelling dirrea. This is very hard to live with. I usually pretty incapcitated for 3 to 4 days. The last several occurred in September, December, February and this weekend.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 9 months ago.

How old are you? Are you male of female? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Any other symptoms such as abdominal pain, fever? Does anything make it better or worse? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Does anyone around you have similar problem? Any family medical history?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David

thank you for requesting me.

your GI symptoms could be due to diverticulosis where constipation or hard small bits of stool can get caught in your colon wall and cause severe pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

a colonoscopy can look inside of your colon to check for diverticulosis which are small outpouching in the wall lining of your colon.

you might have to increase the bulk of your stool, by adding more fiber and taking fiber supplements to help decrease episodes of diverticulosis

have you had a colonoscopy recently?

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hello

I have a different answer for you.

There is a more important consideration here.

A significant number of individuals become salmonella carriers after an acute infection.

This can cause chronic problems.

Before you get a colonoscopy, you need to have your stool cultured to see if you still have salmonella.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

You can find me, Dr. Thomas, in medical any day by request for correct, fast, and up to date medical answers.

Please click a positive rating on this post if you appreciate my answer and I will get paid.