Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

One leg is much colder than the other. I experienced severe

Customer Question

one leg is much colder than the other.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I experienced severe pain, like cramping, in my rt leg on Friday, and my PCP sent me to the ER. A doppler showed no clot, but I continue with leg pain and the right leg is quite cold now.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I don't know.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Was the doppler of the arteries or the veins?

Do you know where to check for pulses in the feet?

I had asked for some clarification and additional information and have not heard back.

When a doctor orders a test to look for a blood clot, it is usually a test of the veins, but a doppler test is usually of the arteries. While both arterial and venous disease can cause leg pain, when someone has a cold leg, the primary concern would be whether there is arterial disease. The concern for arterial disease would be even greater if there are no pulses in the feet.

If there has been no test of arterial flow into the leg, that should be done, and with severe pain and a cold leg, it should be done urgently.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.