Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr, As soon i woke up today, i felt pain in the upper spine

Customer Question

Dr, As soon i woke up today , i felt pain in the upper spine which somewhat vibrating to my right side of my back or shall i say right side of the back of the rib cage, i would like to mention the back pain is totally at the opposite side where i usually complain in the front side of the body which is the upper middle abdomen. I cannot determine whether this because of the front side of my abdomen or its a back spine pain.What can this might be ... IBS or due to gases.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

If there is a vibrating pain in the back, upper or lower back, it is most often due to muscle tightness and spasm. The muscles of the back are really the only thing that will cause a vibrating sensation.

While this is not due to IBS, muscle tightness and spasm can be related to stress and anxiety, and since IBS also can be related to stress and anxiety, it would be common for both problems to be exacerbated at the same time.

It is fine to use over the counter pain medicines. A muscle relaxer also would frequently be helpful, but are only available by prescription in most countries. Stretching exercises, massage, and the local application of ice or moist heat also may be helpful.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Its not vibrating pain, its a achy pain and i can feel it on the right side of the back .. i believe its the back side of the rib cage.Secondly. the pain is more lacalized in the upper spine and or side of the spine

You said that it is vibrating to the right side, which is why it is likely muscular pain.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I feel its going to right side but not interconnected ..and yea if i press it .. it pain but i feel the pain deep inside.
Can this be constrocontidis type of thing ...

Not in this location.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what might this be ...

I answered that above.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.

You are most welcome.