Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Ive been on suboxone 4years now and have to go throughan

Customer Question

Ive been on suboxone for about 4years now and have to go throughan orthop. procedure under sedation and will have postop pain, when should I stop the suboxone cause of the nalaxaone, and is subutex a good replacement to keep me from feelin withdrawl from the suboxone during and after surgery?
Last may I have major surgey on my lowerlumbar stop the subx about a week prior and though the anastesia went well I was in agony on 40 mgs of oxy every 6 rs and percoce5 every 4hrs. after 2 weeks of that I just went back on the suboxone and tylinal and bit the bullet. I don't want to go through this again that's why Im reserschin it this time. I hope you can help, Let me know iof you need more info;
Thanks Blesssing,
Jules
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

You can discontinue suboxone about 3 days prior to the procedure to avoid any naloxone related interaction with other opiates.

Yes sabutex or buprenorphine can be used as such with same potency as suboxone.

That can be used to manage post op pain as well and will prevent any withdrawal symptoms.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/