Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Ok hgb 10.0 hct 34.6 mcv 68 mchc 28.8 rdw 16 plts 412 amd

Customer Question

ok hgb 10.0 hct 34.6 mcv 68 mchc 28.8 rdw 16 plts 412 amd mpv 6 should I be worried I had an iron fusion 2yrs ago but my hgb at that time was 4 wbc Is 10.1 and rbc is 5/06 5.06
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yearly wellness check so didn't see a doc just had the test....I do find myself very fatigued again....last time when it was 4 I was initially put on oral iron supplements however apparently my body doesn't absorb them it never brought my levels up so the did the iron fusion I am craving crushed ice again any other way besides another fusion? I eat a ton of iron rich foods in fact I crave them also but it doesn't seem to bring my levels up..I am really just wondering if I can just keep going or is it low enough that I should seek treatment?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 9 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

You have almost good blood picture indices with normal MCV .

At this steg it would be ideal for you to have good iron rich diet that will help you out .

Apple , fresh fruit juices and citrus fruit will help you out .

And you should also deworm yourselves with Tab Albendazole .

Good luck .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi

Thank you for requesting me, Dr. Thomas. I have a different answer for you.

This is a low hemoglobin. Your MCV is low.

These are abnormal labs. And,the fatigue is concerning.

You need further work up.

If your body is not absorbing iron, and this is confirmed by testing, you need testing for celiac disease. You need to have iron and ferritin checked.

You also need the stool checked for blood.

If your doctor has not given you a diagnosis for this problem, you need to get a referral to a specialist, the type would be hematology, or GI, depending on exam and testing findings.

As you know, I am a double board certified US doctor.

You can find me anytime, use a long request lock and "for Dr. Thomas only" in the title. Do this to get fast, correct, safe, up to date and comprehensive, standard of care medical answers.

Please click a positive rating. [rating scale on top of this page].

find me as needed.

Let me know now it goes.
dt