Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have TMD in my left jaw from a impact injury, with lots of

Customer Question

Hello. I have TMD in my left jaw from a blunt impact injury, with lots of crunching noises whenever I chew. For the past few months, when I first start chewing food (no matter how bland), I feel an unpleasant stinging under my chin on the left side. It's not near my ear but in the area of the submandibular gland on the left side. The stinging goes away after a few seconds but if I pause for more than 20 minutes or so, it will happen again upon that first bite. Can this be caused by my TMD? Thank you.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've had the TMD for many years, but a few months ago (just before this stinging started), my TMD started acting up badly and I experienced aching teeth, locking jaw on the left, vertigo, and headaches in the left temple. I saw a TMD specialist and he took a 3D X-ray and confirmed the deterioration in my left jaw. He gave me Flexetil and the headaches stopped, and the vertigo went away on its own. He did imaging for a mouthpiece, which will be ready very soon. I didn't mention the under chin stinging because it didn't seem relevant. But maybe it is?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hello

Yes it can be referred pain from the TMJ. Temporal mandibular joint syndrome.

This can irritation all of the muscle in the jaw and some in the neck.

That is probably where your pain is coming from.

This does not mean just let it go, have your doctor examine the area.

You should be getting the correct physical therapy for the TMJ.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.